Are you looking for more in-depth details on how to craft an engaging and sale driving sales email? You’re in the right place. Here at Digital Planet London, we’ve come up with a short and sweet guide to helping you on your sales email journey.
What is email marketing?
The Wikipedia definition reads: “Email marketing is the act of sending a commercial message, typically to a group of people, using email. In its broadest sense, every email sent to a potential or current customer could be considered email marketing. It involves using email to send advertisements, request business, or solicit sales or donations.”
- Subject line
Your subject is the first thing your potential buyer will see, if it doesn’t capture their interest then they’re most likely not going to bother to read the rest of the email. With your subject line, you’re stating your intent.
Avoid spelling mistakes as it makes the email appear less professional and avoid misleading titles as it makes you look like you have no idea what you’re talking about.
Relevant, juicy, and eye-catching subject lines are key.
How can I make a good subject line? Firstly, think about your audience. Who are you writing to? And, what is the product that you’re trying to sells’ target audience? Make it personal to draw them in.
Engage with your audience – Ask them questions and make them think. Make your audience think about your product and feel intrigued.
- Opening line
Before writing your email you need to identify your target audience. Are you taking the formal route or more casual? What do you think your audience is more likely to respond to?
Sometimes the usual “Dear Mr, Mrs, Ms” and so on might not be appealing. Try using more optimistic terms that include everyone on the spectrum.
What are the fundaments of a strong opening line?
- They state their context
- They establish trust and credibility
- They offer a natural transition to what you’re pitching
Don’t forget that people are busy, the natural transition will allow your email to flow better and keep your reader engaged. The fewer sentences in your opening line the better.
- The body
This is where you’ll be able to pack in your information and include your amazing high-quality pictures and videos.
Do not forget to include vital information such as what your product is, what the price is, shipping details, and extra costs such as VAT if that’s applicable. However, keep everything to the point and avoid fluff.
What do you want to achieve from this email? Whatever you’re trying to achieve you need to show that through the body of your email.
- Closing statement
The main purpose of your email is for a CTA. Will they book a demo? Start a free trial? Or buy your product? If you haven’t achieved that then the goal of your email hasn’t been met.
- No CTA – If you don’t know what the purpose is, how will your potential buyers? A clearly planned Call To Action is key.
- Too many CTA’s – Don’t overwhelm your reader, they’re more likely to close your email if that can’t understand and if there’s too much going on.
- Your CTA is unclear – The clearer the better. Let your reader know what they’re being asked to do. Are you asking them to subscribe? Are you asking them to click on the link? Let them know.
- Your CTA is too much pressure – Don’t ask for much or your reader can feel overwhelmed again.
- The CTA is too difficult to achieve – If you’re asking your potential buyer to climb mountains, open several links and tabs it’s highly unlikely they’ll comply. Keep it short, sweet, and simple.
To finish off your email having a great signature is very valuable.
Here is an example of a signature:
Phone number 222-222-222
What did you think of that?
It’s boring. Doesn’t provide that extra spice. You’re able to have a great, informative signature with added details to make your email become more appealing.
How can I make my signature more exciting and less boring?
Here are some ways how:
- Use video links
- Got a photo gallery showing off your product? Include that!
- Social media? Link it!
- Don’t forget to leave your websites’ link
And, that’s it for now, we hope this has helped you along your Sales Email journey. Here at Digital Planet London, we offer services in Email Marketing and Email templates if you’re interested. To find out more please feel free to contact us. Stay safe, have fun, and good luck.